In 1812 Benjamin Gott, a prominent Leeds business man and mill owner, bought the house for his mother-in-law. When she passed away in 1816 Gott had the house rebuilt and took up residence himself.
Gott employed the renowned architect Sir Robert Smirke to re-design the house in a mock Grecian villa style. Amongst Smirke’s other projects was the British Museum in London and although on a much smaller scale there are striking similarities between the two buildings. At the time the landscaping was carried out by Humprey Repton again a man well respected in his field.
The Gott family lived in the mansion until the 1900’s.
The Mansion House was used as a hospital for a short spell following the end of the First World War and reminders of this time can still be found in the many rooms that make up the buildings cellar area.
In the 1928 the building and grounds came under the ownership of the Wade’s charity. Wade’s Charity subsequently leased the Mansion and it’s grounds for 999 years to Leeds City Council. Part of the agreement was to see the grounds of the mansion remain a leisure space for the people of Leeds. Consequently on the 8th April 1933 Gotts Park Golf Club saw its first nine holes open to the public. Over the coming years it was developed by the then director of parks Thos. R. Trigg and Colin Robertson a prominent public gentleman into a 18 hole course and so it remains today.
Shop: 0113 231 1896 Club room: 07983 008044
For Tee Times, Green Fees etc See Links Section
Club email: email@example.com
Federation email: firstname.lastname@example.org